Anthony Carlino is an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist. He's also the brains behind Sydney Transgender & Diversity Counselling.
Previously the sole counsellor at the NSW Gender Centre, Anthony has facilitated many support programmes throughout the city's inner West suburbs, which are still active today. Forming Sydney Transgender and Diversity Counselling has allowed him to bring a new level of care to Sydney's gender diverse community.
Anthony's formal education includes a BA in Psychology, extensive training in counselling and psychotherapy from the Sydney Gestalt Institute, as well a Bachelor of Law. This has given him a unique, non-formulaic approach to counselling, relatable even for people who are new to therapy.
“For many, attending counselling for the first time can be a daunting, anxiety-inducing experience. Recognising this, I aim to create a safe and empathic space for people that come to see me.
My approach has been described as warm, conversational and understanding. It lets me build a trusting therapeutic relationship with my clients. One where we can collaboratively decide on goals, and work towards them together.”
- Anthony Carlino
Anthony Carlino's Specialist Areas Include
- Gaining clarity in relation to individual gender identity.
- Referral to specialist medical professionals for the purpose of specialist advice and/or commencing hormone replacement therapy.
- Support and guidance relating to the decision to transition. This can include the unique challenges faced around coming out, obtaining support and building self-esteem.
- Identifying the habitual behaviours and relational patterns. These inhibit the life changes an individual may want to make, helping them to express gender authentically and freely.
- Helping families and friends of gender diverse people obtain a greater understanding of gender diversity, and how best to support their loved one.